Luke 4-5, Psalm 114
Luke 5:5-7 (NLT)
“’Master,’ Simon replied, ‘we worked hard all last night and didn’t catch a thing. But if you say so, I’ll let the nets down again.’ And this time their nets were so full of fish they began to tear! A shout for help brought their partners in the other boat, and soon both boats were filled with fish and on the verge of sinking.”
In Luke 5:5–7, we read about Simon's reaction to Jesus when He told Simon to take his boat out and let down the nets to catch some fish. Simon told Jesus that he had already spent all night fishing with no luck, but he agreed to do as Christ asked. When Simon took his boat out and let down the nets, they caught so many fish that the nets began to tear. Simon called to his partners in the nearby boat for help, and both boats quickly became so full of fish that they almost sank.
I've heard these verses so many times over the years, but what struck me today was how the instruction Jesus gave Simon seemed contrary to his experience. One Bible commentary I read noted that nighttime was generally the best time for fishing on the Sea of Galilee. Simon was back at the shore with his boat after catching no fish despite spending all night fishing. Simon confirmed his failure when he spoke to Jesus. But even when Christ gave Simon instructions that seemed to make little sense, Simon had the faith to trust what Jesus told him. Because Simon obeyed, he experienced a miraculous catch of fish.
These verses remind me that when I hear guidance from the Holy Spirit that seems contrary to what makes sense in the natural world, I need to have the faith of Simon and follow that guidance. Following the Holy Spirit's guidance can be hard for me, especially when it goes against deeply held beliefs that I have. When I'm in this situation, I need to think back to the times in my life when the Lord answered my prayers in unexpected ways. When I remember the Lord's faithfulness in my life, it becomes easier for me to trust and follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit, even when it seems unusual.
If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One who calls us to trust Him even when we cannot yet understand where He is leading us—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.
Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.
If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.
S. Brenda Elfgirl - I was told I am an elf in a parallel life, and I live in the Arizona desert exploring what this means. I've had this blog for a while and I write about the things that interest me. My spiritual teacher told me that my journey in life is about balancing "the perfect oneness of a sweetness heart and the effulgent soul". My inner and outer lives are like parallel lines that will one day meet, but only when there is a new way of thinking. Read on as I try to find the balance.
Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment