Luke 2-3, Psalm 113
Luke 3:15-16 (NLT)
“Everyone was expecting the Messiah to come soon, and they were eager to know whether John might be the Messiah. John answered their questions by saying, ‘I baptize you with water; but someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.’”
In Luke 3:15–16, the people wondered whether John the Baptist might be the Messiah they were waiting for. John answered them and said that he baptized people with water, but someone was coming who was greater than he was. John said he was not even worthy to be His slave and untie His sandals. John said that the One who was coming would baptize people with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
I've read these verses many times, but what stood out to me today was that John the Baptist knew about the Holy Spirit. John knew that the coming Messiah would baptize people with the Holy Spirit and with fire. One Bible commentary I read noted that Isaiah prophesied about the Lord pouring out His Spirit in Isaiah 44:3: “…And I will pour out my Spirit on your descendants, and my blessing on your children.” The commentary also connected John's reference to fire with Malachi 3:2: “…For he will be like a blazing fire that refines metal, or like a strong soap that bleaches clothes.”
These verses remind me that the Lord revealed to John the Baptist many things about the mission of Jesus Christ. John knew he was preparing the way for the ministry of Jesus Christ. He had a specific role to play in the Lord's plan for the world, and he didn't need his role to be greater than it was. John was so humble that he said he wasn't even worthy to untie the sandals of the coming Messiah. John's example makes me feel that whatever role I have to play in the Lord's plan for the world, I want to be as humble as John and celebrate that I am helping to bring more people to the Lord.
If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One who baptizes with the Holy Spirit and fire—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.
Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.
If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.
S. Brenda Elfgirl - I was told I am an elf in a parallel life, and I live in the Arizona desert exploring what this means. I've had this blog for a while and I write about the things that interest me. My spiritual teacher told me that my journey in life is about balancing "the perfect oneness of a sweetness heart and the effulgent soul". My inner and outer lives are like parallel lines that will one day meet, but only when there is a new way of thinking. Read on as I try to find the balance.
Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment