Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Sunday, September 08, 2024

Day 250 Bible Readings – 2 Corinthians 9: 6-7 (ESV)

Isaiah 14-16, 2 Corinthians 9, Psalm 129

2 Corinthians 9: 6-7 (ESV)

“The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”

Verses 6 through 7 from 2 Corinthians 7 is Paul telling the Church of Corinth that when we give, we must give freely and not out of reluctance or compulsion. You cannot give in order to get something back, but to give because God wants us to give. Paul also tells us God wants us to give generously as much as we can, because someone who gives generously will receive many blessings materially and spiritually.

I think these verses also apples not only to money, but to giving of any kind. If we give our time, we must do so without reluctance or because we feel obligated to give our time. I think back to all the times when I gave of my time and was complaining the whole time. Those experiences were not fun for me because I didn’t want to give my time, but I felt obligated to volunteer my time to sometimes look good or because I felt it was my duty. I didn’t give cheerfully or out of generosity. Those experiences were miserable for me. I sowed sparingly and barely got anything back. It is better to give because you want to give, because you feel it in your heart to give, and you do not expect to get anything back. This attitude in giving will grant us the greatest gifts from God material and spiritually.

No comments: