Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Day 252 Bible Readings – Psalm 131: 1-2 (ESV)

Isaiah 20-23, 2 Corinthians 11: 1-15, Psalm 131

Psalm 131: 1-2 (ESV)

“O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.”

Verses 1 and 2 from Psalm 131 spoke to me today. In this psalm David renounces not only his pride and arrogance, but his ambition. David also says he has calmed his soul and is content with God and his plan and feels like a child who had been weaned from its mother. I feel that Holy Spirit has been convicting me this past week of wanting to be recognized and praised, instead of having a humble attitude of being called to serve God. God has given me gifts, and there is a part of me that constantly wants to be recognized and praised for those gifts. I found myself fantasizing this week of being recognized for my gifts and having Holy Spirit at the same time, telling me that I was indulging in the sin of pride. God is the source of all gifts, and he gives them to us to fulfill his plans on earth. I struggled all week with my ego fighting the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, and it made for a very stressful week. My pride also made me realize I was trying to be somebody who I am not, which is a boastful and ambitious person.

When I read psalm 131, it gave me great comfort to know that David had the same struggles and I need to adopt how he calmed and quieted his soul. God is the source of everything in our lives, and if we remember that and not get caught up in pride or ambition, we will have a greater sense of peace within ourselves.

No comments: