Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, September 14, 2024

Day 256 Bible Readings – 2 Corinthians 13: 5 (ESV)

Isaiah 31-32, 2 Corinthians 13, Psalm 135: 1-12

2 Corinthians 13: 5 (ESV)

“Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!”

Verse 5 from 2 Corinthians 13 shows us Paul’s recommendation to the Church of Corinth to ask themselves if they are really followers of Christ. Paul told them that they need to test themselves if Christ in within them. When I read the Bible commentaries on this line, I was struck by what Charles Spurgeon wrote about this verse. Spurgeon wrote that “The true Christian carries the cross in his heart; and a cross inside the heart, my friends, is one of the sweetest cures for a cross on the back. If you have a cross in your heart – Christ crucified in you, the hope of glory – all the crosses of this world’s troubles will seem to you light enough, and you will easily be able to sustain it.”

I never thought that having Christ in my heart meant to think about how Christ was crucified for my sins, and all the pain and agony he went through in his trial and his final death. If think about how Christ died and suffered, I can see why my own troubles would never compare to what Christ suffered and would seem paltry and insignificant. And if my troubles are that small compared to Christ’s troubles, then my own season of trouble could easily be sustained. I know we all tend to look at our troubles as so big and horrible, but when we compare them to what Christ went through then there is no comparison. I grew up Catholic and at Lent leading up to Easter we used to do walk and view the Stations of the Cross in our church on Fridays and meditate on the suffering of Christ. I never understood why we did this as a child, but now after reading Spurgeon I understand the reasoning behind the practice. The Stations of the Cross meditation needed to be performed so we could understand what Christ went through and remember that our sufferings were nothing compared to sufferings of Christ. I don’t remember ever being told why we did Stations of the Cross at my childhood church, but I wished they would have explained it using Spurgeon’s text. I might not have fully understood this explanation as a child, but it would have made some sense to me as to why this ritual was practiced and would have gotten more out of it as well.

No comments: