Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, September 28, 2024

Day 270 Bible Readings – Ephesians 5: 18-21 (ESV)

Isaiah 65: 17-25, Isaiah 66, Ephesians 5, Psalm 144: 1-8

Ephesians 5: 18-21 (ESV)

“And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.”

Verses 18 through 21 from Ephesians shows Paul telling the Church at Ephesus that they need to be constantly filled with the Holy Spirit. Paul tells them to not get drunk with wine, but to live a Holy Spirit filled life that is characterized by the Holy Spirit and full of gratitude to God. Paul doesn’t say you can’t drink wine, but do not drink so much wine that you are drunk. Alcohol clouds the judgement, so his recommendation makes sense if you want to always be mindful of God’s laws in your behavior.

I think if you contrast the way you feel when you drink too much and when you are filled with the Holy Spirit, you will see the difference. At least I do. That fun feeling you get by being buzzed is so short lived. When I am filled with the Holy Spirit, I experience the same level of fun and it feels like it can go for long periods of time feeling that amazing sense of joy. When I write about what I am grateful for in my life, I feel an immediate sense of wonder and amazement that God has been so good to me. And sharing my gratitude with my friends of faith makes the sensations last so much longer. I’ve had fun at alcohol filled parties, but I never experienced the same sense of joy that I felt when I am talking about God and my gratitude with my friends in faith. I’ll take a brunch with friends in faith any day over a crazy wild night party.

No comments: