Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Thursday, September 12, 2024

Day 254 Bible Readings – 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 (ESV)

Isaiah 27-28, 2 Corinthians 12: 1-10, Psalm 133

2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 (ESV)

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Verses 9 through 10 from 2 Corinthians 12 shows God’s response to Paul when he asked him to take a thorn from him. Paul had begged God three times to take the thorn away. God’s told Paul that “my grace if sufficient for you.” Paul’s situation is something I think everyone has in their life - a “thorn” or some kind of problem that people of faith have been praying to God to take away in their life. That “thorn” can be an illness, lack of money or some kind of lack, a feeling of doubt against God, or any number of things. I have a “thorn” in my life that I have been praying about since 2018, and God has not taken the issue away.

I have read many bible commentaries on these verses, and they say the same thing that I am wresting with today. God sometimes does not remove the “thorns” in our lives, because he is trying to strengthen us and deepen our faith in his grace. Pastor David Guzik wrote on these verses that “We really don’t believe God’s grace is sufficient until we believe we are insufficient. For many of us, especially in American culture, this is a huge obstacle. We are the people who idolize the “self-made man” and want to rely on ourselves. But we can’t receive God’s strength until we know our weakness. We can’t receive the sufficiency of God’s grace until we know our own insufficiency.”

I know God is telling that me that only “God’s grace is enough for me.” I cannot rely on myself or other people; I need to only rely on God for everything in my life. This is a hard lesson for me, and I am relying on God’s grace to help me understand why knowing my own insufficiency is a good thing and not a bad thing. I know I need to rely only of God for everything in my life, and I pray to God every day to help me know that God’s grace is enough for me.

No comments: