Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Day 120 Bible Reading - John 1: 29 (ESV)

Joshua 17-18, John 1: 29-51, Psalm 68: 21-27

John 1: 29 (ESV)

“The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”

Verse 29 from John 1 is what John the Baptist said to Jesus the next day after he baptized Jesus. John proclaimed to Jesus it was his destiny to be a sacrifice for sin. Last year I watched the movie “His only son”, which tells the story Abraham being told by God to sacrifice his son. The symbol of the pure lamb as a sacrifice to take away from sin began to dawn on me. John the Baptist announced to Jesus what his role was, and I don’t think anyone who heard him fully got what he meant. Certainly, the disciples who witnessed John baptizing Jesus didn’t get what John meant, and that John the Baptist was actually predicting that Jesus would need to be sacrificed like a lamb. I think if they did get it, they would have understood when Jesus told them later about his coming death. But they didn’t get it, and I think it’s hard for me even now to fully understand the extent of what Jesus went through for our sins. But Jesus understood it. It was his father’ s will and Jesus was willing to do anything to fulfill God’s plan earth. And if it wasn’t for Jesus’ sacrifice, we would have ti experience the consequences of our sins.

No comments: