Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, May 10, 2024

Day 129 Bible Reading - John 6: 16-21 (ESV)

Judges 9, John 6: 1-24, Psalm 72

John 6: 16-21 (ESV)

“When evening came, his disciples went down to the sea, got into a boat, and started across the sea to Capernaum. It was now dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. The sea became rough because a strong wind was blowing. 19 When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they were frightened. But he said to them, “It is I; do not be afraid.”  Then they were glad to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land to which they were going.”

Verses 16 through 21 from John 6 shows the scene where the disciples see Jesus walking on the sea. I love this scene because it must have been very strange and frightening to see someone walking on the water.  Jesus must have sensed their fear because he said to them “It is I; do not be afraid.” A bible commentary I read had this comment about these lines; with these line Jesus was bring supernatural help and comfort to his disciples which is what they needed at the time. As soon as Jesus got into the boat, the boat magically came to shore where they were going.

Whenever I read these verses, I always wonder to myself how I would have reacted? Would I have screamed in terror? Or, would I just stare and freeze like a deer in fright? I would like to think that as soon as I heard the voice of Christ identifying himself and telling me not be afraid, the fear would leave me. But I don’t know if that would be enough because this event is so strange.

The Chosen TV series did a great job showing Jesus walking on the water, and showing what was written about this scene in the gospel of Matthew and Mark. The writers and actors did a great job of showing the fear the disciples must have felt as well.

Enjoy the scene of Jesus walking on the water from the Chosen TV series from season 3, episode 8.

No comments: