Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, May 07, 2024

War and Peace Film Series (1966-67) on Max and YouTube

I decided to watch the War and Peace 4-part movie on Max just to see what the films were about compared to the 2016 version created by the BBC starring Paul Dano.

War and Peace Film Series

This movie was directed and co-written by Sergei Bondarchuk, and was made during the Soviet era of Russia. It's all in Russian with English subtitles, although they seem to skip subtitles on some conversations. There is also a commentary for most of the scenes. 

For a 1960's film, I was amazed at the number of cast members. This film was made before CGI and special film effects, so the people on the set are real and the cast was HUGE! It's really amazing to see the practical effects and crowd scenes knowing they are all real people and not fake scenery.

The movie is long, but it's fun to watch if you're a film buff and enjoy watching a movie made before CGI. The folks who put this movie together really did an amazing job of crowd and war scenes. There are not many close-ups and the scenes are often filmed with a stationary camera, which remind me of old 1950's Japanese movies.

If you have Max, I would recommend a view. It's worth watching!

I found the 4 movies on YouTube - check it out.



No comments: