Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, May 06, 2024

Day 125 Bible Reading - John 4:34 (ESV)

Judges 2: 6-23, Judges 3, John 4: 27-42, Psalm 70

John 4:34 (ESV)

“Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.”

Verse 34 from John 4 is a teaching from Christ I wish I had. In this verse, Jesus is saying that doing the will of God and finishing the work is like eating food that satisfies him. When I first read this interpretation of this verse in a bible commentary, the first thing that came to mind was I never think of doing God’s will and completing the task as satisfying as food. Doing God’s will has always been a chore to me, something I know I have to do because of my faith and obedience to God. But it has rarely even been as satisfying as a good meal. I don’t get that kind of satisfaction. I think I feel a sense of relief that I was able to do God’s will, and maybe even a sense of pride in myself that I did it and finished it. But satisfying? Very rarely.

But I think I need to change my attitude about doing God’s will. My pastor preached this Sunday that we need to try to live our life as Christians and become more like Christ. If I want to be more like Christ, I think I need to try to find satisfaction in doing God’s will and completing whatever that task requires. I don’t think this is going to be an easy lift, but I’m willing to try. I will probably have to pretend that doing God’s will is as satisfying as food at first, until it does become satisfactory. I think I can at least start with doing 10 minutes of God’s will every day with the attitude that what I am doing is as satisfying as a good meal. It’s a small amount of time, but I think it’s a good start.

No comments: