Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Day 147 Bible Reading - John 17: 20-24 (ESV)

1 Samuel 19 & 20, John 17, Psalm 80: 8-19

John 17: 20-24 (ESV)

“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.”

Verses 20 through 24 from John 17 are part of Jesus’ prayers before his arrest. Jesus prayed for himself, his disciples, and in in these verses he prayed for his future followers who believe in him through the words of the disciples. In other words, future follower of Christ which is us. I love that Jesus was able to see the future even as he was facing what would be an incredible painful part of his life in his crucifixion. He loved us so much even though he would never meet us. Christ asked for the same blessing for us that he asked for the followers that he did know for three years.

Sometimes when I watch “The Chosen” tv series, I am in awe of the disciples who knew Christ, spoke to him, laughed with him, and cried with him. I wonder if they knew at the time how lucky they were to have known Christ, and what would become of the teachings of Christ. I wonder if they could see into the future and see that over a billion people in 2024 or 1/7th of the world’s population would be followers of Christ. I think Jesus knew and prayed for his future followers in this prayer.

No comments: