Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Thursday, May 09, 2024

Day 128 Bible Reading - John 5: 31-32 (ESV)

Judges 7: 9-25, Judges 8, John 5: 31-47, Psalm 71: 19-24

John 5: 31-32 (ESV)

“If I alone bear witness about myself, my testimony is not true. There is another who bears witness about me, and I know that the testimony that he bears about me is true.”

I like verses 31 through 32 from John 5 because Jesus is saying and I paraphrase “Look, don’t my word for it about who I am and the miracles I have performed. I have a witness for you.” In fact, Jesus had three witnesses he could talk about. The bible commentaries I’ve read also reference that Jesus was following Old Testament law that was established in Deuteronomy 19: 15 which says, “A single witness shall not suffice against a person for any crime or for any wrong in connection with any offense that he has committed. Only on the evidence of two witnesses or of three witnesses shall a charge be established.” Christ did not commit a crime, but the principle in this verse from Deuteronomy establishes that you need two or three witnesses as evidence of what you have done.

I like this principle of having three witnesses to establish who you are and what you’ve done, so people can’t just claim to be something. They’ve got to be able to prove to others that they have an established pattern and evidence of what they and what they’ve done or evidentiary documentation. It’s a good rule to follow as well to gauge if you’ve changed something about yourself. Can you point to three times where you’ve done something differently than what you might have done? Are there three different circumstances where you chose something other than your normal pattern of behavior? If you can establish the pattern of three in your behavior, I think you can take it as an indication that you have changed and call that a success.

No comments: