Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, May 24, 2024

Day 143 Bible Reading - 1 Samuel 13: 13-14 (ESV)

1 Samuel 12-13, 1 Samuel 14: 1-23, John 13: 18-38, Psalm 78: 40-55

1 Samuel 13: 13-14 (ESV)

“And Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly. You have not kept the command of the Lord your God, with which he commanded you. For then the Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. But now your kingdom shall not continue. The Lord has sought out a man after his own heart, and the Lord has commanded him to be prince over his people, because you have not kept what the Lord commanded you.”

Verses 13 and 14 from 1 Samuel 13 shows Samuel proclaiming God’s judgement over Saul. Saul did not obey God because he was more interested in pleasing himself, his image, and his prestige. Saul did not want to please God because he loved God. Saul wanted to do his will and not God’s will.

I think these verses show that God wants us obey him for the right reasons, not because obeying God will make us great or that God will give us great things and perform miracles in our lives. God wants us to obey him because of our love for him, and because we want to do his will in the world.

For myself, it’s hard to know sometimes if I am choosing to obey God because I know that obeying God will brings good things into my life or because I really want to do God’s will on earth. I think my ego gets in the way, and I have to stop and constantly ask myself why am I doing the thing I’m doing. Am I doing it because it makes me look good to other people? Because it makes me look spiritual and obedient to God? Or, am I doing this thing because I love God and it makes me feel good to see his will done on earth? I think if we keep constantly ask ourselves these questions, we will discern what our motives are and always make sure we are doing things because we love God and want to do his will on earth.

No comments: