Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, October 11, 2002

I finished my screenplay outline and sent it to my screenwriting teacher today. I'm not sure if I'm happy with it, but at least it's done. What a labour of love writing is!!!

This has definitely been a hard week for me. I've been feeling very alone and isolated all week, except for yesterday when I went to see my optometrist for my annual eye exam. We started talking about the war on Iraq, and he compared it to Vietnam. He then told me he was a Vietnam war veteran, so we talked about his experiences for awhile. He enlisted early in 1965, and he said in 1965 there were less than 50,000 soldiers there, and that number grew in a few months to half a million. I had no idea. We started talking about boot camp, and I asked him if it was like that Stanley Kubrick movie "Full Metal Jacket". He said it was worse, and he was like the fat guy in the movie and was endlessly tortured by the other recruits. He dropped 25 pounds in 10 weeks, and at the end he stopped being afraid of getting into a fight. He said in boot camp, the recruits only get bullits when they go to the shooting range, so that part of Kubrick movie was probably unrealistic. He said the military knows better than to give recruits bullits, because if they did, the recruits would shoot the instructors.

It was nice of my optometrist to share a part of his life with me like that. I like when people open up and tell me their life story.

I think I may have been feeling so isolated, because I've been focused on getting my screenplay outline written. Writing is such a concentrated activity. It drains all my energy sometimes. I felt so isolated in bible class, which was strange, but I think I was so preoccupied with my screenplay that it was hard for me to relate to people in class.

I'm thinking of going out with friends tomorrow to see the author of "Trainspotting" read in some pub. I know I need to get out and socialize for a bit, before I start getting caught up in writing my screenplay. Tomorrow, I'm going to a Tibetan Energy Yoga class, which should be fun. I learned some tibetan yoga techniques in a seminar I took in May, and it's a different way of doing yoga than the normal indian style of yoga. Tibetan yoga is more like Tai Chi, in that it's very slow, deliberate and concentrated.

On Sunday, I'll start writing my screenplay. I'm kind of excitd about starting, and at the same time, I'm dreading it. It's that writer's fear coming up, I guess, big time, way big time.

No comments: