Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, October 21, 2002

I managed to get to scene 17. It's hard to write this baseball screenplay of mine, when the home team is playing in the world series, and I feel obligated to watch them. The 9 scenes I wrote tonight were the hardest though since I had to get through to the first act and the crucial turning point of the story.

I'm resigned to the fact that I'm probably going to have to write several drafts of this screenplay before it's any good, and even then who knows. The writers of the movie "Blue Crush" wrote 8 or more drafts, and that movie while good, had some major flaws.

I don't know why more women don't watch sports. God, talk about a bunch of pretty boys on both teams. I love watching all that young male flesh in their prime at the top of their game. JT Snow is really cute, once he takes his cap off. Robb Nen looks way better without facial hair, although what is it with that heavy gold chain around his neck. So disco.

David Eckstein reminds me of that Cousins guy from the Arizona Diamondbacks I love the Angel Salmon story. Salmon has been with the Angels for 10 years, and it's been his only team. He's a rarity in baseball. And poor Kevin Appier. I remember him when he was pitching for the Oakland A's. And poor Russell Ortiz, and in front of a hometown crowd too. The Angel manager, Mike Scioscia, was cute as young man and he's aged very nicely as well. The announcers are so right. You can't tell from looking at Scioscia whether the team is losing or winning. He looks exactly the same.

The world series is definitely a distraction to me right now. And I feel bad because I think I'm an american league girl, and sometimes I kind of root for the Angels. Don't know why either, since they're in the same division as my beloved A's. But when push comes to shove, I will always root for the Giants.

I think it's going to be a great series, and I hope it goes to game 7, only because it's more exciting then. Talk about a nailbiter.

Watching tonight's world series game has really shown me that to get a win, you've really got to work hard. The Angels and the Giants battled for every run. Every inning was like the 9th inning and both teams fought hard. What really strikes me about baseball and these two teams, is thinking of these kids as young boys. Many of the players from both teams, grew up in SoCal and were team mates or rivals in high school.

I think of all the young boys who started out in little league, who played high school ball, then went onto college ball or the minors, and then finally onto to the major league teams, and then if they're lucky, they're playing in the world series. I think about the selection process these boys went through, how hard they must have worked from a young age to even now, developing their talent, their bodies and their skills. And even when they get to the majors, it's not all easy. Look at JT Snow. He's had a bad year, and now he's on a hot streak in the world series.

I know writing must be exactly the same way. These men had god given talent, and they just kept working that talent, developing that talent, and working hard all their lives. These ball players make it look easy now because they are at the top of their individual games, but it took a lot of hard work and alot of years for them to get to where they are.

It would be dishonorable of me to expect that my road, if there is one, to the pinnacle of my writing talent, will not be any less long, difficult and arduous. Like these baseball players, people have told me at a young age that I had natural writing talent. I never believed them, and went on to other things. But unlike these baseball players, writing talent doesn't seem to depend on age. In fact, it seems takes quite a bit of living and maturity to be a good writer, although there are many writers who've excelled at a very young age.

If I write tomorrow, I'll still be on track to finish my screenplay by the end of the week. I had hoped to finish sooner, and probably would have if the Giants weren't in the series. But oh well. I've learned quite a bit about life and my writing from watching this world series so far, and maybe that's all that really matters.

No comments: