Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Thursday, October 03, 2002

Last night in bible studies class, we learned how to do an exegsis on Matthew 9:27-31 - The Healing of the Two Blind Men. What a ton of work! The new pastor says our church has one of the best pastor's library that he's ever seen, and it's open to the whole congregation.

And now I have homework. I think I'm going to be spending all day Saturday in the public library, reading bible commentaries on this passage.

Write 4 or 5 things you realized about this passage.
One sentence what it says about JC.
One sentence how the passage applies to your life or how would your preach on this passage.

I didn't have much time to do anything else last night, as I wanted to watch "The Tailor of Panama" before it was due back. Strange movie! Great acting by Geoffrey Rush. The movie is based on a novel by John Le Carre, and I think I'd like to read the novel because the movie ended so strangely. I had so many unanswered questions about the plot. It was a great story though and very interesting.

After the movie, my mood became very melancholy. The tailor character in the movie said that people make up stories and end up believing them, because it makes them feel better about their wretched lives. I wondered if in some way, I was like the The Tailor of Panama. It's not that my life is that wretched either, but I wonder if I sometimes make up stories about my life and fool myself into believing them. I don't know. You can either have a positive or negative spin about your life.

As a practical person, I've always thought that it was impractical to spin a negative story about yourself. I mean, what's the point? You'd end up in therapy and depressed for the rest of your life. It was far more practical to spin the most positive story you can about your life, and in this way you can be happy and productive no matter what your life circumstances. I guess I got melancholy because I started to question the wisdom of the positive spin on life. Is it realistic? Isn't it better to look reality squarely in the face and get on with life? Why even put any kind of spin on your life? Or can you never get away from forming a judgment about your life? Maybe to spin is part of being a human being?

To spin or not to spin, is that the question?

No comments: