Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Thursday, October 24, 2002

I heard an interview with Harold Kushner, who wrote "When Bad Things Happen to Good People". I wrote some things down that he said. Here they are.

You teach morality to override human instinct.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you’re an honest person, is like expecting a bull to not charge you because you’re a vegetarian.

Prayer is thanking god, and asking God to be with you because when you come into the presence of God, everything seems easier. What kind of things are easier to do, if you think God is with you. You don’t believe in God philosophically, you experience God.

Going to church is communal commitment, to find a congregation, to find a community of believers.

A person who you think has treated you badly does not the deserve the power to jerk your mind around, the person doesn’t have to share the space in your head.

I've only ever read his book "When Bad Things". I found the review for another book that Kushner wrote, "Who Needs God", which I will probably as well. Mr. Kushner seems to have very interesting thoughts on religion, some of which deserve my serious consideration.

No comments: