Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, October 05, 2002

I've been cleaning my apartment all day and defrosting my refrigerator. I have one of those ancient models. I plugged it in, but I think it's finally busted because my food is still warm. I ran to the store and bought a cooler and some ice. I've been hoping it would break down, so I can ask my apartment manager for a new one, but it's such a bother. I think I'll have to throw all the refrigerator food away because it will probably take awhile for me to get a new one. Guess I'll be eating out every night or at least not eating food with any cold food components.

I'm fine for breakfast and dinner since during the week I'm at work. It's dinner that's a problem.

It's all stressing me out, so much so that I'm skipping the potluck party I'm supposed to attend tonight. I was going to make a cake to bring, but if I buy eggs and milk, I won't have any place to store them.

I've never had anything break down in my apartment before, except for a problem with my sink that happened while I was away on vacation a few years ago. Nothing major anyway, except for drains being clogged up and having them change my toilet seat. I hate when things break down. I wonder if my apartment manager will replace it for free? I have no idea. There's a Sears near where I work, so if I have to buy a fridge myself, I'll buy one there. I've also seen them at Costco. I wonder how my fridges cost.

This is my second disaster in two months, counting the problem with my car windows.

On a brighter note, I'm having a meeting with my screenwriting teacher at her office tomorrow night. She's been in LA doing Hollywood type things, I guess. I'm excited to hear her feedback about my screenplay. I received email feedback, but not in person feedback. I'm supposed to pitch her the new version of my screenplay, which seems so far away right now. I'll have to work on my pitch tonight.

I want to finish my screenplay by the end of the month, and then do the National November writing month (NANOWRIMO) again. I'm going to be very busy writing for the next two months, which is very good for me.

A friend convinced me that I needed to see Baz Luhrman's "La Boheme" with her. He's the guy who directed and produced "Moulin Rouge" with Nicole Kidman and Ewan MacGregor. I totally hated that movie, but my friend adored it. She said that this production of La Boheme should be excellent, because the cast is coming straight from Broadway. Broadway type shows are so darn expensive. The good seats are $90. The cheap seats are really bad and cost $55, and you're in the last row of the third balcony.

I told her I couldn't afford $90. I've seen Broadway shows really close up, and from far away, and unless you're sitting in the first five rows in the orchestra, it's not worth paying top dollar. I'm afraid the show will be like the movie "Moulin Rouge", and I'll have paid $90 for a show which I thoroughly hated. I'd much rather see the opera, St Francis of Assisi, then a Baz Lurhman frenetic broadway musical production.

My friend thinks that if I had seen "Moulin Rouge" in the theatre, instead of at home on a rental, I would have loved the movie too. I don't think so. I just hated that the characters' dialogue was all just snippets of songs and tired and worn cliches. The only good things about Moulin Rouge were the english actor, who played the manager, and who was also in "Iris", and course, Ewan MacGregor. But even my attraction to Mr. MacGregor didn't prevent me from despising "Moulin Rouge". The movie only became interesting when Nicole Kidman started dying, and then only just.

I'm only agreeing to see "La Boheme" because it's rare for a show to come directly from Broadway to San Francisco. Usually, the Broadway shows go to other cities first like Chicago or LA. I had to do some serious budget rearranging to pay for the ticket, so I just hope it's worth the $70 or so dollars that I'm forking over.

No comments: