Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I finished packing up my stuff for the movers tonight. I just have one more load of stuff to move, and then I'm done. I'm exhausted, but it's fun to know that I'm still very strong and can sure as heck haul a ton of boxes. I definitely got my exercise and weight lifting in at the same time. I took boxes and bags down two floor and then back up two floors.

I can't believe I fit all my stuff into that tiny apartment, and it all fit although it was pretty darn cramped. I threw out a ton of stuff and clothes beforehand too, so it's not like I didn't try to weed out my things. I'm going to have do another serious weeding out of my things in the next two weeks.

I unpacked my cups and glasses today, and there are some cups and glasses I haven't used in two years. I'm like, why do I even keep them. They've definitely got to go. I'm got to go through my closet again too. I saw clothes in there that made me wonder why I was even keeping them.

I decided not to set up my home computer tonight. I'll just to have disconnect everything when my desk gets here on Friday, so what's the use. I'm using my work computer to use the internet. It's kind of a drag, because I don't have all my regular bookmarks and there are certain sites I can't visit because I don't remember my passwords for them.

I have a telephone meeting at 9 am tomorrow. I'm sure my bosses are just trying to make sure I stay busy, since I now work from home. Whatever.

My apartment is freezing right. I turned on the heat, something I never had control over at my old place, but then I freaked out paying a high utility bill so I turned it off. I'm spoiled. My gas and electric bill has never been more than $20, but with a bigger place I'm sure I'll be paying more.

I had a freak out at Jack in the Box tonight. I decided I'd be healthy, like I know that's an oxymoron while eating at a junk food palace like Jack in the Box, and order the spicy chicken sandwich. A word of advice to fellow junk food eaters. If it's a special item, places like Jack in the Box will charge you more money for the food. A jumbo jack costs $0.99. The spicy chicken was $3.79.

When the counter person totalled up my bill, I practically had a heart attack. I was paying over $7 for junk food. Like what's up with that? I thought the counter person overcharged me, and I became a little more than concerned. The manager came over and readded up my bill, and the way the first counter person added up my food was cheaper than the way I was requesting.

There's nothing like nitpicking over a few dollars in Jack in the box at 9:30 at night, and have the whole restaurant as well as the whole staff snicker at you because the counter person was actually right.

So what's the lesson in all of this? When you're at junk food stops like Jack in the Box, don't order the special sandwiches. They are such a rip off. Don't food yourself into thinking you're being healthy by ordering a chicken sandwich, especially not if you order fried and onion rings to eat it with. The chicken sandwich is fried in oil to a crisp for pete's sake, and probably more fattening than the cheaper burger. Besides, junk food palaces started out just serving burgers, so burgers are what they do best. Burgers are also the cheapest sandwich on the menu.

So ... order the burger and go whole hog with the junk food experience. Don't compromise yourself by trying to be healthy. It doesn't work, and what's worse, junk food palaces charge you up the wazoo for even trying to order healthy food. Ordering healthy food or the pretense of ordering healthy food is so antithetical to the junk food experience, that when you do it junk food palaces punish you by charging you an arm and a leg for the sandwich.

As you can see I am still so riled up by having to pay $2.79 more for a stupid fried chicken sandwich, when I should have gone with my first instinct and ordered a burger. This experience is going to haunt my dreams.

No comments: