Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, May 17, 2003

This is so cool! I posted a message in the yahoo groups board for Blogger Pro, and Phil Ringnalda
answered me right away and told me how to fix it! He said my side bar was longer than my posts. I guess I always just write very long posts, and my system got messed up when I started writing shorter posts.

My DSL is up and running. I think it's faster but I still can't tell. My email pulls up faster, and I do notice that, but some sites still load very slowly. I've got to try downloading some songs to see the DSL difference.

SBC Yahoo send me an extra modem. I guess I get a free one just for ordering the service. I called customer service to see if it was really free, but they couldn't figure it out. Typical. I ended up returning it. I don't have the room for it, and I'll probably never use it.

I cabled my work computer to my home portal yesterday and it worked fine. It's kind of a hazard having the cable go between rooms, but I'm the only at home so it's not like it's going to get in any one's way. At 5 pm, I disconnect my work phone and my DSL connection so I have the physical act of leaving work. I kind of like it that way. If my company were to try to call me after work hours, I wouldn't even know it because the phone is not connected. I'm sometimes tempted to log on and check my work email, but I've so far resisted that stupid temptation.

I went to see the Da Vinci and The Splendor of Poland exhibit today. Da Vinci is amazing! The Da Vinci portrait they had was the one called "Lady with an Ermine". This is the first Da Vinci painting I've seen in person. Apparently there are only 20 of his painting in the world, and this portrait is owned by Poland.

I never got before why DaVinci was considered a revolutionary painter, but when I saw this portrait it really hit me. DaVinci's brush stroke work and his understanding of light and shadow are just phenomenal for his time. The woman in portrait looked so three dimensional, like she was floating in the background. No other painter in Leonardo's time could do this. The lady look so life like. I spent a long time looking at the portrait, trying to figure out how he did it. It's got to be his incredibly fine brush stroke work, and his understanding of light and shadow.

DaVinci achieved the kind of three dimensionality you sometimes see in photographs and movies. He was also able to add this amazing texture to the skin of the woman, so you can tell that the woman's skin was very soft.

I remember when I was making a feeble attempt to learn to draw, how hard it was for me to get shading and light. I just couldn't do it. I'm sure if I stuck with it, I would have gotten it eventually but seeing how to shade for shadow and light just did not come easily or naturally to me. Did it come naturally for DaVinci or did he spend hours and hours working on it?

There were two books on DaVinic that I saw at the exhibition store that I wanted, but didn't want to spend the money on right now. The two books were "The Notebooks of Leonardo DaVinci Vol 1 & 2". I flipped through and there were his journals. I read one entry and it was like reading into the mind of a genius. I definitely have to acquire these books one day.

The only book I ended up buying because I couldn't resist it, was a book put out by Phaidon Press in London called "Crucifixion" . From the publisher on Amazon, "this book presents a sequence of over 100 images of the Crucifixion, the central event of Christianity, depicted by the world's greatest artists." I'm not sure about the reproduction quality of the paintings, but I thought it was so interesting to see all the different paintings of the crucifixion of Christ. There were three other books, Annunciation, The Last Supper and Descent, but Crucifixion was my favorite.

I was going to go and workout, but my body still hurts from the move. I think I totally messed up my right shoulder and it goes numb every now and then. My SF chiropractor is doing ultrasound on it because he think it's related to my car accident, but that doesn't seem to be helping. If it doesn't clear up in a couple of weeks, I'm going to see my chiropractor in Berkeley. Mitchell is totally expensive to see, but he is so good at what he does. I've been meaning to make a visit to him anyway, so he can check if the car accident altered any of the previous work he did on my body.

My right scapula hurts so much, that as I'm typing I can feel my right arm tingling. What a pain! It's not painful or anything, but it's just weird to have my right arm go kind of numb and start to tingle.

I thought the car accident affected my left side and I had some work done on that shoulder, but now my right shoulder hurts. It's a pattern with my body. When I had foot problems on my left side, the acupuncturist fixed that and then my right foot had the same problem. The same thing is happening with my shoulders. I worked on one side, and now I have the exact same pain on the other side. It's a very strange thing. I have an acupuncture appointment on Saturday. I think I'll tell my acupuncturist about it, and see what he does about it.

I'm sure my body will heal itself in time, but I just hate the waiting part!

No comments: