Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Thursday, May 15, 2003

In a bad mood today. My dsl modem arrived last night, but installation wasn't as easy as I thought. First of all, I didn't have an ethernet card on my home pc, so I thought I'd connect the dsl modem through a USB cable. I couldn't get that to work.

Then I decided to install to install the ethernet card that came with my dsl modem, and I finally got to that right, but the dsl modem still wasn't connecting to the computer. I finally ended up calling 2Wire support and they told me that the problem was the McAfee Firewall that I installed. The firewall software was putting filters on my ethernet card adapter, and the modem couldn't communicate to the computer throught the filters. The tech person said to uninstall it and the DSL modem should work.

WRONG!!! I uninstalled the McAfee Firewall, and it didn't uninstall cleanly. What I should have done was uninstall the ethernet card, and then uninstalled Firewall. Somehow I think I corrupted my computer registry, and now I'm going to pay MacAfee $39 to walk me through getting rid of the filters. I hate McAfee. I should have stayed with Norton AntiVirus. I've never had a problem with Norton, but every time I've switched back to MacAfee I've found out down the road that it's compatible with some software that I bought.

I hate computer problems, and I'm a damned good techie person. I used to have to even do it for a living, and had to work help desk for a short time. I called a friend of mine, who works an IT help desk for a living, and she said I need to call MacAfee. I'm so upset, I'm almost tempted to throw out my MacAfee antivirus software and go pick up Norton instead.

I know it will work out. I've never let a computer problem stop me before, but I just have having computer problems.

No comments: