Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Sunday, May 04, 2003

I spent Friday night in my new apartment. The neighbour guy across the way knocked on my door in the morning, and introduced himself. We talked, and then he offered to show me around the neighbourhood. He's an old guy in his 60's, who is semi-retired. I get the feeling he's very lonely and poor. He's a seasonal parking lot attendant, who mostly works during the football season and at other events that the parking company gets.

We ended up at a breakfast place, and I bought him breakfast because he was so nice. He wouldn't leave me alone though, and I finally just had to tell him that I needed to get some unpacking done. The cable guy came over, and it was kind of awkward because the neighbour guy was like kind of telling the cable guy what to do. I had to tell the cable guy that the man was my neighbour.

I'm sure the old neighbour guy was trying to be helpful because I was a woman and all, but it was kind of weird because the guy was like acting like I couldn't take care of myself. I'm sure the man is harmless, but he sure does need alot of hugs. He kept saying he wanted us to do things together, and I'm like I hope he doesn't become a pest because I don't want to offend him because he does live across the hall.

I just never know what to do in a situation like this. I was trying to be nice to guy because I just moved in and to be a good neighbour, but I don't really want to socialize with him all that much. I'm like regretting that I told him I work from home, but if he knocks on my door during the day, I'll just tell him I can't socialize because I'm supposed to be working.

I was planning on going to the gym after work, and I think I'll start doing that regularly again just to be out of the house alot. And on the weekends, I'm usually out of the house anyway so I'm hoping the old neighbour guy won't have much opportunity to bug me. I think after awhile, the old neighbour guy will figure out that I'm never home.

I feel bad because I think the old neighbour guy is just really poor and lonely. I thought he said had cable TV also, and then he said he didn't. I'm hoping that's not true, because you can old pick up about three channels without cable. He didn't have any books or magazines in his apartment, but I kind of got the impression that he doesn't read very well. His apartment was pretty musty and dirty, and it kind of smelled. The man was clean and everything, but I don't think that cleanliness is one of his strong points.

I think it's nice that he's so neighbourly and everything. That's very rare in a big city, but I guess it's just so unexpected. I'm sure it will be fine, and if he does become a pest, then I'll just have to figure out how to deal with him. He did say that he didn't understand when people say to him. "they need their space". I'm wondering if people have said this phrase to him because he was a little too friendly. He's from the south, so he says he just wants to be neighbourly but I'm hoping he doesn't go overboard.

He's old fashioned, and he kept calling me an "unmarried woman", and I'm like hoping that the phrase doesn't entail this whole weird thing.

Other than that, I'm still packing and tryng to move stuff over. It's weird trying to fix up my place without my furniture which doesn't come till Friday, but I'm coping as best as I can. Tomorrow the phone comes over to turn on the phone, and I'm sure that will be another adventure.

No comments: