Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Tuesday, May 20, 2003

The only good thing to come out of the whole "the one that got away'" experience is I came up with a great idea for a screenplay.

It's a romantic comedy, kind of like Romancing the Stone and an all girl road trip. It's loosely based on my relationship with "the one that got away" but totally amped up and dramatized.

The movie opens with this girl who's crying because she missed her boyfriend. We find out it's been over for a year, but the girl is still moping. Then we see her at this 12 step group meeting, where all the women are cute, blonde and trendily trashily dressed.

One girl gets up and says "Hi my name is Bambi, and I'm a silicon valley gold digger". It's a meeting for a 12 step group called "Silicon Valley Gold Diggers Anonymous", where all the women are dating, divorced, married or broken up with filthy rich silicon valley nerds.

The girl has been attending this meeting since she broke up with her nerdy sili valley boyfriend. We see the girls take out pictures of these really awful looking nerdy men, and cry. I don't know why but I think this scene will be so funny, but I do have an odd sense of humor.

The girl in my story goes out for coffee with a couple of the girls, and one of them tells her about this healer in LA who can cure anyone of their sili valley nerd addiction. No one in the group has done it because they're all afraid that if the LA healer cures them, they'll never date sili valley rich nerds again.

My girl decides to do it because she is desperate to get over her man and lead a normal life where she's attracted to normal men. She flies down to LA, one of the beach towns like Redondo Beach, and take a cab to the house of the LA healer.

The LA healer will be a spoof of a stereotypical new age healer complete with crystals, pyramids, filmy scarves, those stinky healing sticks, coconut man guards, etc. The healer tells her that her and her boyfriend, Steve (what else would I call him), were married in many three previous lifetimes where she pledged to be his twinflame soul forever. The healer tells her that she will never get over Steve unless she makes peace with her three previous incarnations by visiting the sites of her former marriages.

Incarnation # 1 - some island in greece or italy that disappeared because of a volcano eruption, it's famous but I can't remember the name. Her husband was away, and thought she died in the volcano but she actually escaped with the children. He vowed to spend the rest of eternity looking for her, and she vowed to be faithful to him for all eternity. This is where it all started.

Incarnation # 2 - Ohio, she was a mormon wife # 6, and back in those days they chained the wives so they wouldn't run. She died on the way travelling to Utah while trying to escape

Incarnation # 3 - Hawaii, on the big island. He was a magic man, the kahuna and she was his apprentice, and they got married.

Th LA healer tells her that her graves must be found and she has to do a clearing ritual at each gravesite. The healer gives her a set of clues for each place.

My girl decides to go and drags her best friend, another member of the Silicon Valley Gold Digger Anonymous with her.

So the movie is all her adventures, and in Greece she has an accident with this guy, who ends up for some reason following her on the rest of her adventures. Of course they get together in the end, and he turns out to be another rich millionaire guy, but not a rich sili valley nerd.

So my girl gets her cake and gets to eat it too.

I have one scene in my head where she goes to a support group for families of polygamists in Utah (another 12 step group), and one girls gets up and says "Hi my name is Catherine, and my grandather is a polygamist", which is loosely based on a spa trip I took to Utah. I was talking to one of the hiking guides, and the woman just blurts out to me like it's a common everyday thing to hear "my grandfather is a polygamist." I mean, what does one say to this kind of remark other than "really?". I got kind of freaked out, like "oh my god, yucky", but then the woman told me her whole life story and it all seemed kind of normal after that.

No comments: