Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Sunday, January 11, 2004

I went to see "The Last Samurai" on Saturday. Despite the critics' reviews, I thought it was a great movie although it could have used some judicious editing. It's a long movie and sometimes not much happens, but I liked it anyway.

I loved all the samurai philosophy, the scenes of Japan and all those great samurai costumes. And of course being a kung fu cinema girl, all that great sword fighting and blood going everywhere battle scenes. I love watching squirting blood flying out all over the place.

They had fabulous shots of Mount Fuji and for the first time, I thought I might have had an incarnation there. I've been around japanese culture my whole life, and never once did I ever think I might have been japanese in another life.

But seeing Mount Fuji and the village life in the mountains gave me a dejavu feeling, like it was somehow home or something. Maybe I was like a japanese girl living in a village at the steps of Mount Fuji.

I've never been that keen on going to Japan but now I want to visit and see the buddhist and shinto temples, especially the giant buddha at Kamakura.

The Last Sumarai takes during the time of the Meiji period in Japan, which was fun for me because of the woodblock prints art exhibition from the Meiji era that I saw a few years ago. That exhibition was on the best art exhibitions I'd seen in a long time, and it made me want to own and collect japanese woodblock prints.

Tom Cruise's performance was good, but not as great as his performances in "Born on the Fourth of July" and "Magnolia". He can do bitter guy really, really well.

No comments: