Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, January 09, 2004

Poor Carly Fiorina. I feel sorry for her. Look at what SFGATE.com is saying about her; Economists back tech industry's overseas hiring Workers deny U.S. lacks qualified staff.

I think I mentioned this awhile ago, but at my last job in San Francisco, I drafted a plan at the request of my boss to move my company's IT programming staff and work to Singapore. Singapore gives companies willing to train and move programming jobs to their country, huge tax credits and all kinds of breaks and incentives.

Besides cutting IT staffing costs in half, my company would have saved more money with the Singapore government tax credits and breaks. Compaq has their operations there.

The presentation I put together was for the Singapore EDB (economic development board), which has an office in Redwood City. My boss gave the presentation to the Singapore EDB in Singapore in the fall of 1999, and the SEDB loved it.

The economic incentive to move our IT operations to Singapore were huge, and I had a Carly Fiorina type rationale going through my head when I was drafting the presentation. It was all about the money though, and I knew it. But I so relate to Carly Fiorina right now.

No comments: