Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Thursday, January 22, 2004

It was strange to look at the Diego Rivera mural in the City College SF theatre tonight having finally watched the "Frida" movie a couple of days ago. There was Friday in the mural, I was trying to imagine him painting her and if she was here in San Francisco to pose for it.

It was also a strange coincidence that at the art exposition I went to on Saturday, a gallery was selling drawings made my Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. I heard the gallery person telling someone that the drawings were hidden away, and were only recently just found.

It's a trip to watch a movie about the life of an artist and then to see their work.

Frida and Diego had such a bizarre marriage, but in the end they were together for almost 25 years. That's a long time. Rivera treated Kahlo very badly, but she knew what she was in for going into the marriage.

And at the end of the movie, Rivera redeemed himself by taking care of Kahlo when she was sick and out of money. They didn't have the greatest of marriages, but at the end he took care of her.

Their situation made me wonder what's really important in a marraige; someone who loves you who's faithful or someone who will take care of you when you're sick. Hopefully you get both, but I wonder if we're all just looking for someone who will take care of us when we can no longer take care of ourselves, and that love and fidelity may be important but not really necessary in the long run.

No comments: