Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, August 28, 2026

Day 238 Bible Readings - Matthew 5:15-16 (NLT)

Matthew 5-6, Psalm 83

Matthew 5:15-16 (NLT)

“No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.”

In Matthew 5:15–16, during the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus tells His followers that they are the light of the world. Like a lamp that is placed on a stand to give light to everyone around it, believers need to reflect Father-God through the way they live. Jesus says that when people see our good deeds, they should glorify Father-God in heaven.

One Bible commentary I read noted that Christ never challenged His followers to become light. Jesus said they already are light, and it is our responsibility to let that light shine before people in darkness. Christ wants our light to be intentional, like a lamp placed where it can be seen, so that through our good deeds other people will glorify the Lord we serve.

F. F. Bruce wrote in his book The Book of Acts that Jesus knew there would be a strong temptation for a person with light to hide it, so as not to draw the world's attention and expose themselves to people who hate the light. I know that for a long time in my life, I did hide my Christian faith because of criticism. But now that I've recognized the guidance of the Holy Spirit in my life, I feel much more confident about sharing my faith. I have the guidance of the Holy Spirit to help me discern when it is appropriate to share and what to share with people. And I know that when I am obedient to the Holy Spirit's guidance, I am following the Lord's direction for my life.

If these verses resonate with you—if you feel drawn to place your faith in Jesus Christ, the One who calls His followers to shine His light before the world—this may be your moment. Open your heart to Him. Speak to Him in prayer. Tell Him you trust Him and desire to walk with Him. He is faithful, and He will meet you exactly where you are.

Heavenly Father, I give You my life. Please forgive me for all my sins and wash me clean through the blood of Jesus. I believe in my heart that You raised Jesus from the dead, and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. I receive Your forgiveness and the gift of salvation. Thank You, Lord—I am saved, I am forgiven, I am clean, and I am made new in Jesus’ name. Amen.

If you prayed this prayer, welcome to the family of Father-God! I encourage you to find and join a Holy Spirit–filled, full-Gospel, Bible-based church where you can grow in your faith and experience the Lord’s love, signs, wonders, and miracles in your life.

No comments: