Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, September 21, 2002

A cute thing happened while I was standing in line at the grocery store tonight. I watched a man buy a bouquet of flowers with his other groceries, and after he paid give the bouquet to the cashier as a gift. At first I thought the man was the cashier's boyfriend and I thought, "he's a nice boyfriend to bringing flowers to his girlfriend at work". But then I noticed that the cashier had a confused look on her face. She kept looking at the door where the man had walked out and shaking her head. It made me wonder if that man was her boyfriend. When it was my turn in line, I asked her "did you know that guy?". She laughed and said no. She then explained to me that the man came into the store all the time, so he was familiar to her. She had never spoken to him socially before, and didn't even know his name. Then I told her, "Maybe he has a crush on you. Did he ask you for a date or give you his number?". She said no. Then I told her that maybe he left his card in the bouquet, so she checked but found nothing.

Then I told her, "A total stranger gave you a bouquet of flowers, and you don't eve know his name or have his number. God, that is so cute! That guy is so sweet." The cashier laughed and handed me my receipt.

I think it's such a cute story, and what a sweet gesture. A regular to the grocery store buys a bouquet of flowers for the woman who once in awhile is his cashier. I don't think he was trying to pick her up either, because he never told her his name or left his card and number. I'm going to have to put this scene in one of my stories.

I've had flowers handed to me by total strangers before. It's so sweet, and they've always left their name and number. I've never called any of them back, but I was so grateful to them for the gesture and the flowers.

The cashier was so taken aback by the man's gesture. She was very young, probably under 21, and didn't know what the heck to think. It might have been the first time a total stranger gave her flowers. When it's happened to me, it's such a rush and such a trip. The first thought that always went through my head was "oh my god, this guy might be my soul mate and if he is, I want to marry him." When I've told friends about receiving flowers from a total stranger, they've always said, "did you get his number? Maybe you should marry him." When I thought about the experience later, I felt so flattered that a total stranger went to the trouble of buying a gift for me. One guy handed his bouquet to me and said, "these aren't as beautiful as you". AHHHH. How sweet. I was so not looking particularly attractive that day either. It was a Saturday morning, and I had left the house without taking a shower. I was wearing red sweats, a baggy tshirt, and a green down jacket, and browsing through the stacks of a used bookstore. I'm sure I was quite a sight.

Actually, I've never received flowers when I thought I was looking very attractive. I've only ever gotten flowers when I've felt and looked dirty and skanky. I told a friend of mine about this issue, and she said I looked more approachable when I wasn't dressed up. So weird. All the books tell you that you should look your best when you want to attract lots of men. This dictum probably applies to every other girl except me.

I just love that the grocery store clerk received flowers from an appreciative customer. It's such a cute story!

No comments: