Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Saturday, September 28, 2002

I'm spending the afternoon getting caught up on the news from the various boards I visit, and linking interesting articles on the bloggie. There are so many things happening in the world right now, it's impossible for one person to pay attention to it all. The boards are great for getting caught on on the news.

The MIT free online learning is very interesting to me. MIT has such a great reputation for engineering, that I'm curious to see how they fare on courses like Economics, History and Political Science. These are the courses I will look at. For all my interest in politics, history and my job in finance, I never took these courses in college.

My interest in Politics came from my dad. He's a dyed-in-the-wool democrat, who participated in several union political campaigns while I was growing up. Finance and economics only interest me because it was part of my job for several years. When you work for a Planning and Analysis group, you learn economics on the job. History I'm starting to love because I'm finding out, once you understand the history of something like Middle East politics, it takes to a whole new level of understanding and complexity. Once you understand history, you start to see both sides of an issue and although it's harder, it forces you to rely on your own judgment regarding any issue. When you watch or read the news, it's also interesting to see how people distort facts for their own purposes, for their own spin.

And god, I love SPIN!!! It's the public relations side of me coming out, who just loves SPIN and all the many ways you can tell the same story, depending on your agenda. I have so much fun listening to the commentators after political debates, and what they have to say. Sometimes it makes me wonder whether I was watching and listening to the same event as some of these spin doctors. You can just see the BS dripping from their mouths sometimes, it's hilarious. You can also tell who's a biased journalist and who's not.

No comments: