Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, September 20, 2002

I've been looking at my expenses again, and things aren't quite as bleak as I thought. If I get laid off, I can file for unemployment. I can trim down my expenses to absolute bare minimum. I also have about 3-4 weeks of FTO that I haven't used yet. Here are my scenarios, none of which involve tapping into my savings:

3 months severance + FTO money + unemployment = I could survive for 14 months without a job

2 months severance + FTO money + unemployment = I could survive for 10 months without a job

1 month severance + FTO money + unemployment = I could survive for 7 months without a job

FTO money + unemployment = I could survive for 2 months without a job.

I'm talking living at a bare minimum here, plus $150 for my health insurance cobra payment. Without the cobra payment for health insurance, I could go a few months longer.

My company had a layoff when they moved part of the office to Sacramento, and the people who got laid off received 3 months of severance. Three months of severance would be ideal, but I listed all the scenarios.

I've never looked at a lay off scenario before, because I've only ever been laid off once and that was when I was right out of college and it was my first job. I'm glad I did this little exercise, just so the thought of being laid off won't be so scary financially. I mean, I will freak out in any case, but now at least I know it might not as bleak as I thought.

No comments: