Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Songs that are going through my head right now: Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At, and some other song I heard on the dance station I sometimes listen to which goes something like, "I'm going to get through this".

I finally received some feedback from my screenwriting teacher on my screenplay. Here's what Julie O said.

"When I was away this summer I found that my conversation with any 'random' American often 'reversed' into talk/monologue about Baseball. This oldest sport(?) in the country obviously is deep seated in the psyche. And I'm thinking this will be explored in your piece. My lingering thoughts are Biblical though -- The Prodigal Son, Cain and Abel, etc. For me your first draft is a story about two brothers."

Biblical references in my screenplay, hmmm... I never saw this angle before. I knew when I was writing the screenplay, that it was a story about two brothers, and it was a story about a son returning home, but he's not the prodical son. The prodigal son left and returned home broke. My character is relatively wealthy. If I follow the biblical references to their logical extreme, is baseball then the garden of eden?

It's interesting what people read into my stories, especially when I never think about stuff like this when I write. I can't. It's too hard. I struggle to have my story come alive on paper, and the last thing I'm thinking about is what it all means. If I think about what I'm writing, I lose my story and my plot, and story and plot is everything to me.

No comments: