Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Monday, September 16, 2002

A poem for Yom Kippur I wrote in my early 20's, when I was one of those weird chicks who was always writing poetry about anything and everything.

On Yom Kippur - The Day of Atonement
-for all things lost, forgotten and forgiven

This is a time of great sadness, of great sorrow.
When the sins of the fathers are passed on to the children,
and we must atone for the sins of the world which
have been laid upon our shoulders.
We fast so we may purify our bodies, our selves, our souls on
this most holiest day of the year.

When we must remember th days of Moses, the flight from Egypt,
the great holocaust where many of our kindred died, a time
when God had forsaken his chosen people, and let them suffer and die
at the hands of the white barbarian aryans.

The sins of the world have always been upon our people.
From the day a little star rose above Bethlehem, when a man who
walked upon the water was nailed to a cross among thiees.
From that day forwad, the sins of the world were branded upon our minds
and our hearts, on we the forsaken, by those who blamed us.

But on this most holy day, we must remember that
for all things lost and forgotten,
all things are forgiven,
so that we may start anew again in the coming year.
That for another year, our hearts, our souls,
our bodies are cleansed, purified and innocent of the
world from which we came, and from which we will always return.

I stopped writing poetry in my 20's. THe inpsiration to write poetry left me, and then I decided that I wasn't very good at it anyway. But it's interesting once in a while, to look back at my feeble attempts to express my world thru verse.

No comments: