Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, September 06, 2002

I didn't list my goal weight earlier, so here it is: 130 pounds. I'm 5 ft 4 in.

This is the amount I weighed in my 20's, and I was very happy with my weight back then. I have a few more muscles now, than I did in my 20's, and since muscles way more, I don't see myself weighing less than 130. I have a medium to large frame too, so I think I can handle more weight. In my 20's at that weight I got my bad fat tested, and I was at under 20%. I've forgotten how low a woman's body fat percentage can go, before it causes problems like completely losing your menstrual cycle or having your cycle go haywire for few months. In the past, there were a couple of times when my body fat percentage got so low my menstrual cycle went haywire. I definitely don't want to repeat that experience. I'll have to get my body fat tested again, as I get closer to my goal.

I just looked a found a chart on the net which listed body fat percentages for women from the American Council on Exercise.
10-12% - essential fat, 14-20% - athletes, 21-24% - fitness, 25-31% - acceptable, 32% plus - obese.

I think when my cycle went haywire I was probably in the essential fat stage. The first time my cycle went haywire was during my bulemia days. The second time was when I was marathon running in my late 20's. I was cutting calories and running over 40 miles a week, which probably wasn't a good combo for me. The haywire menstrual cycle is so not good for your body.

No comments: