Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Friday, August 23, 2002

Tough day at work today. Client requests for information from reports I did a year ago. I hate looking at work I did in the past. It's like, OH MY GOD, did I actually do this? This client was the first client we did these particular type of reports for, and since they were the first, they were the guinea pigs. The reports have come along way since then, so it's painful for me to see these dinosaurs.

Looking at old programming coded, even my own, is scary. It's like looking into someone's brain and how they think, how their logic works, how they process information or don't process information. I'm sure if a fellow programmer looked at my code, they'd freak out. I'm looking at my own programming code I wrote a year ago, and freaking out.

The client is requesting detailed information from this old report, and because the report is a year old, the information has already been deleting due to space limitations on the server. I've been spending the whole day trying to recreate the report to get back to the same numbers I had a year ago. What a pain! I'm finding so many mistakes, mistakes that we corrected later for other clients and their reports. I hate this. How do you go back to a client and tell them? It's not that the information is that far off, I just can't get back to my original numbers. However you look at it, it just looks like one big damn mistake.

I'm like so stressed out. I would get killed in an audit, and I'm bummed because I've always been so good about making my work audit proof. You should always be able to get back to your original numbers, no matter how many years later you go back and rerun the job. Stress, stress, stress. Thank god, it's Friday!

No comments: