Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Wednesday, August 21, 2002

I went to the San Francisco blog meetup at Yerba Buena Bowl tonight. God, what a disaster. There was no one there. We were supposed to meet at Yerba Buena Bowling Alley, which was somewhere I'd never been before. The place was really small, and there was no bar. I mean, what kind of bowling alley doesn't serve beer? That's the whole point of going to a bowling alley, isn't it? Beer and bowling with the homies.

I got there late, and I started freaking out because no one was there. There was a big group of people there, but they seemed to all be a little too chummy, so I figured there was company or department havinf a night out. I was just about to leave, when I see three people enter with camera equipment. I knew right away somehow, that there were here for the blog meetup. But when I went over to talk to them, they weren't from the blogger group. They were from a new cable access show on the Peninsula, who came to the blog meetup to film it for their show.

Then my friend from my writing group shows up, which was strange because he wasn't even sure he was coming. What a night. I dropped my yoga class at City College, which I was supposed to start tonight, to go to the blog meetup. I was going to drop the yoga class anyway in four weeks, because I enrolled in a bible study class at church which meets on the same night as the yoga class, but which doesn't start until late September. In the meantime, I was going to take four yoga classes and then drop the class. Taking four yoga classes for $13 is a steal and half, since private yoga classes run $10 per class. I also blew a chance to go down to San Jose to meet guys. A friend of mine was having an introduction at her house for a seminar, and she mentioned to me that there might be some guys there I might want to meet. Okay, so the guys I would have met in San Jose were mostly like geographical undesirables. I mean, who the hell goes to San Jose and the South Bay unless you work down there or are going to a concert at Compaq Center. Still, it's always nice to meet new guys and just talk sometimes.

I guess the night wasn't a total washout. The cable access people ended up interviewing me and my friend about our blogs for their show, and then we all went to Chevy's for food and drink. I was so upset with the no show blog meetup, that I needed a cocktail to soothe my frayed nerves. The cable access people were very nice, and it was fun to talk to people who are doing something fun and creative like starting their own cable access show.

My friend said we'll be famous, because we'll be on TV on some cable access channel on the Peninsula. How we're going to watch the show is a mystery, since we both live in the city and county of San Francisco, but that's just a minor detail.

God, I hate seeing myself on TV. I used to act in these videos for a friend of mine, who was producing Hindu legends she's read. She'd put together a cast, film the legend, and then show it friends here and in New York. I could not watch myself in any of the videos. I'd sit there with my eyes closed, cringing at the sound of my own voice. People afterwards came up to me and said, they loved my performance. I would just stand there and smile and nod, not wanting to mention that I'd never watched myself ever. I was in four or five of her films too, but I never watched any of them because I was in it.

I blew my calorie counting at Chevy's. I had a margarita and half a plate of nachos grande.

No comments: