Thank you for viewing / reading my blog posts! I appreciate it!

Thursday, August 08, 2002

I'm getting excited! I fly to LA tomorrow to see the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art. I've been wanting to take a trip to LA to see art since last summer when I wanted to see the David Hockney photography exhibit, but the timing never worked out. This summer I decided to make it work and I did it. I fly to LA and then fly back to SF tomorrow night.

It's a quick in and out trip, but I'll have enough time to go to the Andy Warhol exhibit, check out the art at the rest of the MOCA and then take a shuttle to see The David Geffen museum, the MOCA's sister museum.

I found a hotel that's a couple blocks away from the MOCA, wasn't too expensive and has a gym and restaurant facilities. There's even a pool on the roof if I wanted to swim. I even get 500 points of frequent flyer mileage on my United Airlines credit card.

I've already have my ticket to get into Warhol exhibit and since I'm planning to be there on a Friday afternoon, I'm hoping it won't be too crowded.

God, I have not taken a trip by myself in a long time. It's at been least four years. I am so looking forward to it. It's fun travelling with friends or boyfriends, but when you travel by yourself you are absolutely free do anything you want. You don't have to deal with someone else's eating habits and their schedule. And I always meet people when I travel by myself so I never feel like I'm lonely.

This is a kind of test for me to see how easy or dificult it is to fly in to a city and see an art exhibit. The cost of insuring a travelling art exhibit is so exhorbitant that museums hardly do it. The art exhibit usually travels to only 2 to 4 cities and SF is very rarely on the list. If I can fly to LA easily to see art, then I'll think about flying to NYC, Boston, Philadelphia or Chicago to see other art exhibits. I will only fly for the large exhibits though, like retrospectives of an artist's works and it needs to be artist I really like or art I am absolutely dying to see.

I was lucky to see the Cezanne exhibit in London a few years ago. I was planning a trip to London that year and at the same time the exhibit was going to be at the Tate. I think the only other place the exhibit was travelling to was Philadelphia. I love Cezanne!

I wonder what the security at LAX will be like. I'm allowing for two hours on Saturday night to get through airport security. If it takes a shorter time, it's not a big deal. I can always use the time to read or write. I'm use to reading and writing in crowded places anyway and can get a lot of work done.

No comments: